According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, traffic crashes are the leading cause of death for people ages 3 – 33. Here in New York, the state takes speeding very seriously, and if you’ve been pulled over and ticketed for this, you can be facing potentially large fines and court charges.
Did you know? Many drivers get speeding tickets, pay the fine, and never realize that they’re accruing points on their license! These points add up, and can result in losing your license if not dealt with properly.
List of New York Speeding Ticket Points:
- 1-10 miles an hour over the speed limit = 3 points
- 11-20 miles per hour over the speed limit = 4 points
- 21-30 miles per hour over the speed limit = 6 points*
- 31-40 miles per hour over the speed limit = 8 points
- 41 mph + over the speed limit = 11 points*
*If you receive 6+ points in New York, you may be subject to the Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA) fine. This is a charge against your license in New York. At the 6-point mark, you will be fined $100 each year for three years. Each point that you get over 6 points is an additional $25 a year for 3 years. Accruing 11 points will result in the suspension of your driver’s license.
Remember: All fines are doubled in a work zone! In many cases, it is best to fight your ticket before pleading guilty.
Here are some reasons why you should fight your speeding ticket:
- Excessive Fines & Surcharges
- Points on your License
- Higher Insurance Premiums
- Possible State Fines – New York Driver Responsibility Assessment
- Loss of your Job (if a valid driver’s license or CDL is required)
If you have any of these bullets, give me a call so we can evaluate your ticket. Our mission is to get your ticket dismissed or minimize the fees for you. We will review your case and determine the best options available for your case. Whether you’re in Valatie, Claverack, Kinderhook, Chatham, or anywhere else in Columbia County, we’re ready to help.